Monday 9 January 2012

The Christian camps that are “brainwashing” our kids

Soul Survivor 2011 courtesy of River Methodist Church


As a regular Guardian reader, I was surprised to see an article called “Christian teen camps are wicked, innit” (August 2011) on the paper’s website.

Although cleverly written, this piece reveals Thomas Prosser’s ignorance and prejudice, and is typical of our generation’s tolerance for anything apart from Christian values.

The general gist of the article is that Christian camp organisers are using teen lingo and exploitative techniques to brainwash kids into believing the (clearly nonsensical) views that millions of people around the world hold.

I went to Christian camps every summer as a teenager and they were the highlight of my year. I made a lifelong friend the very first year and we met up at camp each year after that for about six years. We’re still in touch now.

There were no secret agendas about these camps: they were advertised as Christian camps and I wasn’t surprised to find there was some mention of Christianity when I got there. If you went to a pop concert and ended up watching a strip show, you’d be a little surprised to say the least (or perhaps not so much these days).

Prosser describes Soul Survivor sermons as “wild orations that aim to wear down the resistance of the audience to the message”. He claims: “Videos designed to whip up the emotional temperature of the audience are shown, and fervid calls for youngsters to accept Christ are made.” He adds that “hypnotic music typically sounds out in subdued lighting as youngsters are urged to come to the front and give their lives to Christ”.

I’m pretty sure Prosser’s never actually been to the camp. What makes the music “hypnotic”? Is there anything inherently evil about rooms with dimmed lighting? Should we stop our kids from watching videos that have an emotional impact on them and force them to watch reality TV drivel instead?

I found it deeply ironic that the article – deriding the underlying “manipulation” of Christian “yoof lingo” – used such overtly anti-Christian language. Was this Prosser’s ploy to “brainwash” Guardian readers into rejecting Bible teachings? Let’s just hope his audience is more discerning than he thinks our youngsters are.

Prosser continues by saying: “None of any of this is fair to teens: young people have a right to choose their religious beliefs without being subjected to strategies that emotionally exploit them.”

Do you know many teens who agree to do things they don’t want to do? Isn’t he patronising and undermining the intelligence of our youngsters, who have probably given the issues considerable thought before making a decision one way or the other. That was certainly my experience.

I fundamentally disagree with Prosser’s assertion that “giving one's heart to Christ can alas be done in a fit of absence of mind”. How could he possibly know that? I agree that it can be a spontaneous decision, but becoming a Christian isn’t just about saying “pledging allegiance to Christ” at a specific moment; it’s about deciding whether to follow Him for the rest of your life. This choice is theirs long after the camp ends.

The article stipulates that “Christianity's most controversial doctrines are given a full airing at the camps”. This is probably true. We discussed a huge range of topics including human suffering, racism, evolution, who Jesus was, sex before marriage, the gifts of the Holy Spirit, physical healing… You name it, we talked about it.

But these discussions were open, interactive debates and questions/challenges to doctrine were actively encouraged. It gave us the opportunity to talk about things we might have been afraid to talk about with our parents or friends. And backed up with Bible teachings, the “wickedness” of these principles should probably be taken up with God himself.

Finally, while a lot of my friends were trying out drugs, sleeping around and messing about with Ouija boards, I was learning to jet ski, having a go at archery and horseriding, playing outdoor games, having gala dinners, taking part in music, craft and drama workshops, and most of all, having a LOT of fun.

I scrolled down to read the comments below the article, and sadly, the majority of respondents agreed with Prosser’s bigoted generalisations. “Most sensible people realise that religion is a crock of shit when they hit puberty,” says one. “Anyone uncool enough to sign up for such an embarrassing dickwit fest deserves all they get,” says another.

It’s a shame Christianity is seen by many as something that only the gullible, educationally subnormal and under-10s could possibly take seriously. Would these people have the guts to say the same about Islam or Judaism?

One that made me laugh, though, said: “The thuggery of those Christians over the past few days as they've been rioting, torching buildings, looting and mugging has been beyond contempt. My comment is of course not serious, Thomas Prosser, because I guess your article is not serious.”

I’ll leave Liberti editor Bekah Legg to have the last word on this as she has actually been to the festival and has therefore earned the right to comment.

“I went quite cautious, if I'm honest, but have been thoroughly impressed by all they do,” she says. “I take a group of about 60 kids and watch them grow before my eyes.

“It's an opportunity for them to hear great teaching, participate in great worship, encounter the Holy Spirit in a safe environment where there is no pressure or manipulation and above all I think it is just amazing to be part of a group of 10,000 people and realise that there are a lot more Christians out there.

“I've seen a lot of kids’ lives turned around.”

I don’t have children (yet) but when I do, I think I’ll run the risk of them encountering darkened rooms and "hypnotic" music than allowing them to do the things most teenagers are doing these days. Ok, rant over!

5 comments:

  1. wow...well said Miss Tibs!!
    Suzanne Williamson

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that was balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous, very insightful ;) Care to elaborate a little?

      Delete
    2. I've been to Soul Survivor church in Watford over 2-3 years but I had been a church goer with my parents to our local Baptist since I was very little, so I had a good 15 years of spirituality of some discription. I personally think the way they hype up the atmosphere and whip young impressionable minds into a frenzy is wrong. I think if you truly want people to know Christ you shouldn't need to do this as it's deceiving the general populise into thinking the emotional reaction to the music, lighting ( and anything else any other major labels would use to hype up the fans of a touring megastar like One Direction or Ariana Grande), is the Holy Spirit. I have seen kids and other various young adults go back to Watford again and again because they get addicted to that feeling like a junkie..Its just not right.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anonymous, always good to hear your helpful thoughts.

    The use of the word 'nonsensical' in this blog is clearly ironic - you must have missed that.

    No, I'm not an idiot. I have a degree from a good university and manage not to fall over my own stupid feet most of the time. I'm sure millions of people are more intelligent than me (I assume you are one of them) and that is cool.

    I also think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs whether they are intelligent or not. There are extremely clever, educated people who believe similar things to me, and there are some super smart people who have alternative views - I can live with that.

    I guess the main point I was trying to make in this blog was that from my own personal experience, I was able to attend Christian camps without being brainwashed. I had fun, I made friends, I was given the opportunity to find out about Christianity, but never forced to believe anything. I think most kids are able to make their own decisions about what they want to believe and it's patronising to suggest they would believe everything they're told without questioning it at all.

    Anyway, despite our different opinions, I prefer to discuss things without being offensive or using aggressive language. Feel free to keep commenting, but if you could avoid being nasty that would be much appreciated.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete