Friday 28 October 2011

A woman who touched our hearts

Photo credit: Jess Trigg (Jess left, Claire right)

I had a load of ideas for this week’s blog, but something that happened yesterday totally threw everything else out of the window.

Because yesterday I went to the funeral of one of the most vivacious, intelligent and talented women I’ve met. Although I only met her a handful of times, her warmth and friendliness made me feel as though I’d known her far longer.

I was introduced to Claire and her then-boyfriend Simon by a mutual friend, Jess. One day Jess and her boyfriend James were in the car with Claire and Simon (who were married by this time), talking and laughing, when BANG.

A car slammed into theirs and in one short moment life changed forever. Claire, who was driving at the time, was killed more or less instantaneously. Her husband had minor injuries, while Jess and James were both badly hurt.

I believe the woman who crashed into them has since been charged with driving while under the influence (not for the first time) and for dangerous driving. Showing zero remorse, she then prolonged everyone’s suffering by asking for a post-mortem, which meant the funeral was delayed by months.

I could go on about how her disgusting behaviour, for taking a precious life from her husband of just two years, from her family, from her friends and from the marvellous future she was carving out for herself. And for leaving James on death’s door with internal bleeding and Jess with serious injuries including multiple breaks to her pelvis.

But seeing the bravery of everyone who went to the funeral and hearing the way people talked about Claire made me realise that she is the one we should be focusing on and learning from.

The 32-year-old Liverpool businesswoman played a major role in promoting the city at the World Expo in Shanghai. Her company created the 3D film about Liverpool that was one of the most popular attractions at the China Expo. Claire also founded creative industry support network Kin, which is used by hundreds of people in the design and media sectors across Merseyside.

And outside work, she also made a lasting impression. From the moment I met her I knew she was special. She had a zest for life that was truly infectious. Her smile was captivating and her witty sense of humour was as sharp as a sword. Claire had a close circle of friends that adored her, and she and Simon fitted together like hand and glove.

She would have been so proud of everyone that spoke at the funeral yesterday; it wasn’t easy for them but they captured Claire beautifully and gave her the best possible send-off. It didn’t surprise me that the crematorium was full to the brim with a lot of people standing at the back.

The last time I saw Claire a bunch of us were trying on fake moustaches and wigs. I laughed so much my stomach hurt!

Photo credit: Jess Trigg (Jess left, Joy right)
If we can learn anything from this terrible situation, it’s that we should value each and every day; that we should live life exuberantly, work conscientiously, laugh continually and love passionately. Just as Claire did.

My thoughts and prayers are with Simon, the family and the many friends she made during her short life.

No comments:

Post a Comment